Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday, April 17, 2011: Just Swell

I wish I could say everything is just swell, but I'd be lying.  The swelling and abdominal cramping is extremely painful and is wearing on her.  She has been having difficulty getting out of bed, standing up or even walking short distances.  It's very difficult to watch.  I feel like I'm standing on the sidelines watching my wife slowly die and there's nothing I can do but watch.  Just watch.  Watching one of the most loving and gentle people you will ever get to know suffer. 

Today was especially difficult...it was our 18th wedding anniversary.  Without a miracle from God, our 18th and last...and that just plain sucks.  The day went by for the most part like any other we've had recently.  We didn't do anything special to celebrate.  No fancy hotel.  No fancy meal.  No fancy wine.  Nope.  Celebration would be bitter sweet.  Maybe later, just not today.

Tomorrow we'll be calling her oncologist to ask questions about the swelling.  We have heard of other cancer patients getting fluid drained (sometimes liters of fluid) so we want to ask.  And also ask her what's causing the swelling.  Is it normal?  Is it a side effect of one of her meds?  etc. 

Well, every one's in bed but me...time to wrap it up I guess.  Thanks for continued prayers.