Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday, June 20, 2009: When It Rains It Pours

At 8:00 last night out power went out. At 8:00 this morning Brian went downstairs and heard "splash" with the first step (actually he saw it before he heard it). Most of our cul-de-sac has flooded basements. It was unreal watching all the neighbors going from house to house this morning - everyone working together to empty basements.

Thankfully our power has returned. Modernistic is in our basement right now sucking the water out and will then be ripping out all the carpet. We "had" a finished basement. I guess now it's unfinished. I'm trying to find the silver lining in all of this but I have to say . . . . this sucks.

I am very thankful to have Ashley and Nathan home from Camp Geneva safe and sound. As of this morning that was all I wanted - the kids home safe and sound. Now that I have that all I want is a dry basement. And new carpet. And this entire disaster to go away without all the physical labor that is soon to follow. One step at a time. One teeny tiny painfully slow baby step at a time.

Please pray that we continue to look for the positive and not dwell on the negative. We've been meaning to clean the basement . . . pretty soon it will be cleaner than it has ever been. We have our power back. The sun is shining! Insurance won't cover this. Oops, forgot, looking at positive . . . .

Despite how awful this is I have to say seeing our neighborhood pull together this morning was just amazing.