Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Wednesday, July 14, 2010: Listen

Read Isaiah 50. Then go back and reflect on verses 4 and 5.

“He wakens me morning by morning,
wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.

5 The Sovereign LORD has opened my ears,
and I have not been rebellious;
I have not drawn back.”

Stop what you’re doing. Listen. Block out all the noise and just listen. “He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being taught.” Wow. How are you doing? Are you waking up every morning and listening? Before the madness of the day starts? Or are you like me: the alarm awakens me with no time to spare. Well, after about 5 snoozes; then it’s rush rush rush to work. And so the day begins.

I’ll be the first to admit – I’m not a good listener. Sometimes I'm not a very good student. I rebel. I draw back when times are good. Sometimes I feel like that student in the back row of the class. You know the one. The class clown. The one passing notes, making gross farting sounds when the teacher isn’t looking, goofing off basically. Not listening. These verses hit me this morning. Reminded me to stop and listen.

Let’s all pray for each other this morning to be better students. Better listeners. We have a great Teacher. Let’s stop and listen to what He is trying to tell us. Just listen.

Amen.