Thursday, February 1, 2007

Thursday, February 1, 2007: We're Home!!!


Hello again!
We're home! Praise God!!! We now begin our long road to recovery and look forward to taking this journey with each of you. With God on our side, we will be victorious. Well, so much for the daily updates; we will keep you posted along the way with periodic updates. I'm glad you all appreciated the updates...we received so many e-mails every day. Reading the e-mails to Kristi was definitely the bright spot each day...what else is there to do in a hospital anyway?! Well, here are some words from Kristi...and again, thank you all sooo much...


bkrogalske@sbcglobal.net
02/01/2007 09:17 PM


Hello friends and family!

It’s finally me and this time we’re not going to lose this e-mail into cyberspace or wherever the last one went. It’s going on 4:00 now. My doctor will be here around 5 or 6 to start my discharge paperwork . . . . woohoo! I’m coming home! Today has been a quiet one. I have asked for no visitors because I was quite tired this morning. It has been great seeing everyone but unfortunately yesterday was a little too much for me and I need to learn my limitations. I learned how to change my colostomy bag this morning and even taught the nurses a thing or two. They said everything is healing well. There isn’t anything really new to report for today. Just walking and sleeping and yup, even some eating.

This week has been quite a week. Good times and bad times. Fortunately there were more good than bad. Even the bad times helped me grow a little. I know Brian mentioned that I had a difficult time a couple nights ago. I have to say it felt good to cry and to have Brian hold me and say "one day at a time, one minute at a time". I have times when the tears well up where I need to let them flow and it always helps. I do need to be with someone when I cry though. I used to hide when I cried. Now I need someone to be with me and it’s okay if you cry with me too. As long as we end up crying tears of joy by the end. I have had tears of extreme joy too though. When reading cards and talking to people. I used to have low self esteem and now I know without a doubt how loved I am and it can put you on cloud nine! I even told a nurse at one point that I was thankful for the cancer. Of course she looked at me like I was nuts but there are such extreme highs along with this that no one can imagine. I sat on the couch this morning and saw Brian drive in and my heart jumped for joy. I got up and tried my best to meet him at the elevator but didn’t quite make it. That’s okay though. When he saw me he looked so proud and said "look at you girl!". There is not a word in the English language to express how very much I love and appreciate him. Right after God, he is my main man!

Sorry to blab on and on. There is so much to say. I look so forward to holding my children tonight and being home. We will be having a very quiet weekend to ourselves and reuniting as a family. I know people have so many questions and want to talk but we are asking that we don’t have any visitors this weekend and if possible, no phone calls either. Keep the e-mails coming and that prayer pager buzzing. Please don’t feel like we’re cutting you out, just need to have our family time again. You have no idea how much we appreciate all of you. Everything you have done for us and so willingly done is a huge help.

I know Brian mentioned my cancer doctor was bleak. He doesn’t really believe in numbers. He did say something about my cancer being very wide spread and very serious but . . . you do have hope. Ha! No kidding! We talked to our other doctors and I’ve discovered that a doctor like this almost has to stay detached and stick with the facts. They see patients come to them with a disease that makes no sense and then takes them away. On a daily basis. I believe most doctors are the same way and don’t believe in God. I’m sure there are a lot out there that do though. My heart breaks to know that they don’t have my peace. I will be explaining to all my doctors that although I am thankful for everything they have done, I know who my true healer is and that even if they tell me there is nothing more they can do that I will always have hope, always! I am here for a reason now. I have been fortunate to see the effect it has had on some of the nurses. They are amazed at how often the prayer pager goes off and with my attitude. God’s light has shown brightly here and I know has started some minds changing and questioning. What an amazing thing to be part of that! I can be a small part in bringing people to know God and His peace! What an honor!

Well now I’ve gone and wrote a book. Sorry to you non-readers. I think I will sign off for now and spend some time with my hubby. Some specific requests as I sign off:

*continued peace and a day to day, minute to minute attitude
*I think there are many people who don’t know what to say to us, that’s okay. Pray that they will not be uncomfortable around us and know they can just smile.
*that our family time this weekend will go well and the kids will adjust to having me back and my limitations
*comfort to all who have been helping me. I know you all have busy lives too!
* I’ve been having strange/frightening dreams due to the medication and surgery. Pray that they will go away to be replaced with happy ones.

I’m done for now but I do have one question for you . . . . are you wearing your sunglasses???!!!

Love and hugs,
Kristi


With much love,
Brian & Kristi