Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tuesday, May 27, 2008: An Ordinary Family

It seems so strange to just be "ordinary" again. I have been doing things like cutting the grass, going on camping trips and on field trips with the kids. All these things that I wasn't able to do last year. It has been so wonderful not thinking about chemo!

I am so busy these days it's hard to believe that I even had time for cancer last year. I think I was so out of it because of medications and surgeries and chemo that I missed a lot that I don't even realize.

One thing that I missed last year was the Relay for Life. My neighbor walks it every year with her mom and girls as her mom is a cancer survivor. Last year they took Ashley with them and it really made an impact on her. I remember them saying "next year you will have to walk with us". I also remember thinking at that point that there was no way I would ever be able to do something like that. Well, never say never! On June 13 I will be joining them. Ashley will be coming with us as well. I am sure it will be a very emotional but wonderful time.

I will be hitting you all up for donations soon :) I am still figuring out my donation website and when I get there (actually, after Brian helps me get there) I will put the link on the blog.

Well, it is way past my bedtime and everyone else is already asleep so I should probably get to bed now. If I stay up much longer I may have to break into the bag of M&M's in the cupboard! Which is actually a prayer request. While I was on chemo I could eat anything and would still lose weight . . . well, chemo is done and so is the losing weight part. In fact, I am putting the pounds back on. I am at a good weight right now and need to stay that way. I would appreciate prayers for willpower to eat right and also for exercise. Yup, still struggling with the exercise thing. I'm trying and taking baby steps but it has been baby steps for a few weeks or more now and it's time to start taking bigger steps.

Brian has been patiently trying to motivate me while I know he would rather put my tennis shoes on me and shove me out the door for a walk. I can even feel God trying to nudge me to take better care of myself. It is so easy to slip back into old habits.

So, some prayer requests are:

*Healthy eating and exercise for me

*The kids would stay focused and end the school year on a good note (they are done next week already!)

*Brian is still tired :( He went to the doctor and they ran a great deal of tests (thyroid, food allergy, etc) and they all came back normal. So he continues to try to find an answer.

Thank you for covering this "ordinary" family in your prayers!