Monday, March 2, 2009

Monday, March 2, 2009: A Good Chemo Day

One of my biggest struggles with chemo is the hangover I have with Benadryl. They give me Benadryl as a pre-med to counteract any possible allergic reaction. So far I haven't had any hint of an allergic reaction so I asked today if I could skip the Benadryl. My chemo nurse said she didn't think it would be a problem. If I started having any reaction they would simply stop the chemo, give Benadryl through my iv and then restart the chemo. She had to run it by my oncology nurse though. This nurse said she wouldn't recommend it but it was my right to refuse the Benadryl. So, I was a rebel and refused it! Other than a slightly itchy face for a little bit I had no reactions! I was so excited. With the Benadryl I am groggy for the rest of the day. Since I didn't have that today I was able to go out to lunch with the friend that came with me. A lunch with a friend and no kids? What a treat!!

My white counts are rather low which means my immune system is weak. The nurse told me to be extra cautious this week. Thank goodness the germs are finally out of this house!

We continue to be so blessed by our friends and family. I had a friend give up most of her day to hang out with me, my mom picked up Emily from preschool and watched her for the afternoon, we had yummy chicken soup for supper that friends had brought us when everyone was sick recently (they had brought so much I was able to put some in the freezer). As if all that wasn't enough, I was given a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the girls in the Girls On The Run program that Ashley is in! If any of the girls are reading this . . . thank you! And thank you Coach Deb. That was so thoughtful.