Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday, June 20, 2010: Blown Away!

'

Wondering why this video is significant? Well, Friday night when this storm hit Detroit, we just happened to be at Comerica Park. Yup, the company I work for had our annual employee night at Comerica Park. When we left our hotel to head for the ballpark the sky was nothing but blue. It was a perfect night for a baseball game. I have to admit, the game was a little long and boring...and I'm even a Tiger fan! But a lot of walks and pitching changes makes for a long game.

'
Fortunately though, with today's modern technology the people next to us were tracking this storm as it moved closer to Detroit. Those people bailed when the storm was about 40 minutes away. When the storm was about 30 minutes away a guy from work who was sitting next to me decided his family was going to leave. The memories of running out of the Magic Kingdom in the pouring rain was still fresh in our memories so we decided to bail shortly after.

'

So we headed out to the van. Problem is I forgot where we parked...as did the rest of the family. Everything looked completely different in the dark. We wandered and wander for about 20 minutes in the dark...passing many homeless people and dark alleys. Then all of a sudden it hit. You could hear the storm brewing. The wind noise was unbelievable. Then like a wall WHAM. A wall of wind about knocked us over. I'm not exaggerating when I say it nearly knocked Ashley to the ground. She was hanging on to Kristi with all her might. I scooped up Emily and held her head into my chest. It felt like we were getting sand blasted. The sand and dirt just pelted our skin and eyes. Then the rain started...and not just a light sprinkle. It was like a monsoon...the rain was blowing every which way. I can honestly say I have never experienced anything like that before. So here we are...the 5 of us. Completely lost in Downtown Detroit. Dark, pouring rain and unbelievable wind. At one point I was holding Emily standing in the middle of a desolate intersection and I looked up at the sky and yelled "UNCLE". I was mad at God. Another family memory ending like this. Unbelievable. We walked around trying to find somewhere we could take shelter. Then after about 20 minutes of wandering we stumbled across our van. Of course we were all soaked and tired. Considering the situation all the kids did great. I have to admit, I was freaked out for a while. I have never felt so lost. I just didn't know what to do. I couldn't believe I got my family into this.

'

Now we look back and we can laugh (OK, maybe not laugh). What an adventure! Then I got to thinking. If this was just an ordinary Tiger game and uneventful ride home, the kids would hardly remember this night 20 years from now. But, now I can guarantee that they will remember this night for the rest of their lives...the night Dad got us lost in Detroit. We could make a movie out of it..."Lost In Detroit". Yeah, that's it! Of course every time I tell the story it gets bigger and bigger. The last person I told I was dodging falling buildings. OK, so maybe not that bad but I don't really care to do it again!

'

As far as the game...well, the Tigers won 7-5 and are only a game and a half out of first place. The kids are still 50-50 if they ever want to go back to a Tiger game. I remember Nathan crying in the back of the van on our way back to the hotel "I hate Detroit!". If you ask Emily she says "it was the worst day of my life". Oh well, life's an adventure.

'

Update on Kristi: still a lot of lower back pain and abdominal pains. The effects of the chemo are also starting to accumulate...same as last round. Her fatigue and nausea come and go more frequently as she gets further into this round. Please pray for strength for another 2 weeks of this round.

'

'

Beautiful night for baseball!

'

Carlos Guillen checking out this lady's brown GUCCI luxury handbag

'

Tigers scoring runs