Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sunday, February 24, 2008: We're Blue

Today's posting title is kind of a play on words...and kind of not. Tonight Kristi and I are going downtown GR to see Blue Man Group perform at the Van Andel. I never heard of these people before but I quickly learned I was in the minority as people often exclaimed "you've never heard of Blue Man Group?!" Geesh, where have I been?! We weren't thrilled about going on a Sunday night but in our company will be a pastor and his wife...so I guess that makes it OK. :)

Speaking of "blue", wow, Pastor Frank's message really hit close to home this morning. It was sooo accurate and appropriate I'd like to get a copy of it and post it on the blog. I'll work on that. Being in the middle of a "dark period" right now we were just so able to relate to everything he said. We started crying about 5 minutes into it and cried for pretty much the rest of the service. We normally hang out with our friends after church and are usually the last ones to leave. But today was different. Today we both just wanted to leave. Get home to our safe haven. Call it hiding. Call it what you want.

Kristi has had a few down times over the past few weeks. She struggles with "what's the point?". For instance, one day she was mopping the floor and she thought to herself "why am I wasting my time doing this, I still have cancer". How much longer do we have to endure this? We're not "down in the dumps", we're just tired. Frustrated. Ready to move on. So please pray that our spirits will be lifted high and that we'll have the perseverance to endure the rest of this journey.

I highlighted this passage from Romans in my bible. It's the passage Pastor Frank referenced during his message: "And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. 3Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; 4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."