Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday, April 13, 2009: Plans

You know those days where nothing seems to go according to plan? Today has been one of those days! I remember living life day to day and minute by minute during 2007. We never knew when I may need a trip to the emergency room.

Today I put cancer "on hold" because my family needed me. I was up most of the night with Emily. She coughed and coughed and coughed some more. I think she was finally in a deep sleep around 5:00 AM and she sounded raspy.

After getting Ashley and Nathan off to the bus stop I called my doctor to cancel my appointment and then called Emily's doctor to get her in. I'm glad I brought her in. She has bronchitis but we caught it early. She is on antibiotics and will hopefully be feeling better soon.

My nurse completely understood and asked if I wanted to just postpone the doctor visit and chemo another week. Ummmm, didn't need to think twice about that! After looking ahead at the calendar I noticed that now my "off" week after the next round of chemo is the week of Tulip Time and also Brian's birthday. Also now I will feel good tomorrow for Emily's birthday! Plus this Friday is our 16th wedding anniversary. God took care of all the little details.

Brian is feeling much better this afternoon. He ate breakfast this morning and finally it settled in his stomach rather than, well, as Brian put it earlier "you know". He is still tired but doing so much better. He even watched Emily this afternoon while I took a three hour nap! While he was sick I realized just how much he does around the house. I have always known he did a lot but it is true that you don't realize what you've got until it's gone.

I'm looking forward to a normal, chemo free week celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and just enjoying life.