Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday, January 12, 2010: A New Game Plan

Today's appointment went great! Every single person we met there was very nice. The doctor checked the usual spots for lymph nodes on me and he didn't find any that caused suspicion (other than the one in my neck). I will be going back tomorrow afternoon for a simulation. I think it is basically a "dry run" for treatment. They will map out where they will focus the radiation on.

My side effects should be very minimal and won't start for a few weeks. The said I may have fatigue but it won't be anywhere near as bad as the chemo fatigue. I may also have redness, dryness, itchiness and some pain on the spot that is being radiated (not sure if that is even a word!).

The plan is to go Monday-Friday for 5-6 weeks. It should only take about 20 minutes or so every day. If everything goes well tomorrow they are hoping to start treatments next week already.

I never thought I would be excited about radiation! But compared to the chemo that they were going to start me on this will be a walk in the park. Yes, it will be a pain having to go there every day for five weeks but it's only a couple miles away, painless and no needles!! Yea!