Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Wednesday, February 24, 2010: A Time For Everything

Today looked like a fairly quiet day on the calendar. You'd think by now I would realize that the calendar and reality don't always match up. When I look back at the past 12 hours it makes me wonder how I am even able to function. Here's a glimpse:

The day started at school ~ a bunch of kindergarten moms met for coffee with the principal. It was a chance to share any concerns or ask questions. I didn't have any questions or concerns but I used that chance to sing the praises of Rose Park teachers. They go above and beyond the "call of duty" and they do it because they love our family. There isn't a word in the English language that can describe how wonderful they are.

As I left school I ran into a friend in the parking lot that I hadn't seen for a while. We chatted for a couple minutes and I left with a smile thinking "I really should get out of the house more often and visit with friends".

Mid-morning I received a call on Skype (I don't know the technical terms for this but basically it is a video phone call through the internet). My brother called from Columbia. He started by saying "shhhhhhhh" and then he turned his computer around so that I could see Stephanie, Carlos and Maria playing together. I felt like a little fly on the wall and I loved it! The joy just radiates from their family.

Around lunch time my mom and I headed to my sisters to visit with her. The first thing I saw was the sadness in her eyes. We knew Eric wasn't doing well before we got there but knowing it in your head and seeing it with your eyes are two different things. Eric's mom was over so Lori was able to leave Eric for a little bit to spend some time with us. After tears, hugs, more tears and a prayer we left.

We went directly from my sisters to my radiation treatment. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that I have cancer. Nothing like a dose of radiation to remind me. (Yes, I'm feeling bitter and sarcastic).
Shortly after I was home I found out that a friends father had passed away earlier today. Like I said at the beginning of this post - I don't know how I'm able to put one foot in front of the other one. I know that I could never do it with my own strength. All day long the song "He Is With You" by Mandisa was running through my head. I think God is my personal DJ with all the songs He's been putting in my mind. I found a beautiful video with this song on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyy7K0e__x4&feature=related

Here are the words from the beginning of the song . . .

There's a time to live
And a time to die
There's a time to laugh
And a time to cry
There's a time for war
And a time for peace
There's a hand to hold
In the worst of things


There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1