Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday, May 21, 2010: V

Have you seen the new TV series "V"? Kristi and I are hooked on it. Hey, something has to replace Lost! Can you believe Lost is done?! Anyway, speaking of alien babies being born on the mother ship, Kristi and I both watched V when it was on TV the first time, back when dirt was still fairly new. In fact, when we were on our 5 year anniversary trip in Gatlinburg, TN, we rented the entire series from a video store and watched it every night. So this is very nostalgic for us. Of course we can't watch it during the week so we DVR it and usually end up watching it on Friday night...like tonight.

But for some strange reason tonight was different. I'm not sure why, but at some point through the show my eyes welled up and I almost started sobbing. Good thing we had 2 dogs sitting between us and it was a rather intense scene so Kristi couldn't see me. Why did I tear up as the FBI was raiding a V conspirator's apartment? Well, it had nothing to do with the show. For some reason I started thinking to myself that in 6 months, a year, 2 years, sooner than in the time I want anyway I won't be able to watch these silly shows with Kristi anymore. I will be sitting alone on the couch with the dogs. We were supposed to grow old together. Retire and live in a farm house with a wrap around fence. Who will I laugh with? Who will I have to laugh at my silly jokes? It feels so lonely. That's where my mind was going. That's what brought on the welling eyes.

Then I came to grips and asked myself "what good is this doing me? why ruin a perfectly good night? just Kristi and I (well, and the dogs), quiet night watching our 2nd favorite show". What good comes in worrying about tomorrow's problems today?

So, we finished watching V. Kristi just went up to bed and I told her I'll be up shortly. Just another night in our house.

Good night.