Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Tuesday, April 17, 2007: Our 14th Wedding Anniversary:

What an anniversary to remember!! We arrived at Blodgett at 10:00 AM for our distribution study. When we first arrived they seemed quite confused as to why we were there. They took her back at one point for the CT scan then took her back out because they were supposed to do some blood work first. Oopsie. They were just plain confused and unorganized! After the registration and the “almost scan”, it was just a waiting game. Kristi went in for the distribution study and was complete by 12:30PM. So we had a nice lunch on our way back home, drove through our old trailer park (eek!), and got home about 3:00PM.

Oh, but wait. The Dr. called about 2:20 according to my Dad. So Kristi called him back. They messed up the scan and wanted us to come back. So, back to Blodgett we go! We went back to Blodgett and they repeated the entire process all over. While at Blodgett, I got a call from Steve Dozeman, who was watching Mom and Dad’s house while they were in Mexico. There was a water leak in the basement and about an inch of water on the floor!! The sump pump came unattached from a pipe and was pumping water into the basement. So after getting home from the hospital the 2nd time I went over to their house and fixed the cracked check valve and cleaned up. I called Denny to help me and we cleaned until about 10:30PM. What a day!

Here it is in Kristi's words...

bkrogalske@sbcglobal.net
04/17/2007 10:30 PM


Hello everyone,

What a day! There were a lot of mix-ups and confusion. We’ve learned to expect the unexpected! I did pass the blood test this morning – my platelet count was 28 (it needed to be over 25). I had the dye put into my stomach port and then had a cat scan. We had a nice lunch at On The Border and got home around 2:30. Unfortunately the cat scan didn’t go low enough on my abdomen and they needed me to come back. So, back we went. They tried another cat scan but the dye had already gotten out of my system so back to the beginning we went. The put more dye in and back to the cat scan I went. This time the doctor looked at the results before we left. Many other things went wrong along the way as well. On the way back to the hospital I was praying that I wouldn’t need to have more dye put in (as it wasn’t a fun experience). This wasn’t the plan though. However, I did have a peace during the procedure and was joking with the doctor and nurses. Everyone was extremely apologetic and felt awful for everything that went wrong. They thanked me for my understanding and wonderful attitude. So, as Brian said, the purpose of having to return was to "shine" some light on these doctors and nurses. I felt very good on the way home and at peace.

I had to call my doctor tonight because I had some swelling where they put the dye in. Apparently this isn’t uncommon. After laying down for ½ hour the swelling went away. While I was on the phone, my doctor expressed a lot of concern about the hit that my platelet count took after the last round of chemo. I have to go in on Thursday to have my blood drawn (I get tomorrow off!!!). They will be calling me with the results. It is possible that I may not be able to have chemo next week because it is still so low. I am torn over this because although the thought of not having chemo sounds wonderful, I also know that I need the chemo.

I am continuing to pray boldly that I will be cured of this now. After praying last night and simply letting it go, I got the best nights sleep I had in a long time. I know that God has a plan for me. I don’t know that it is to take this cancer from me now but I am feeling compelled to ask that of Him. I pray that this is His will for me but I also know that if this is not His will than He has another plan that is even better than mine. I asked today that I wouldn’t have to go through the procedure of putting the dye in my port but as I said, that wasn’t the plan. Instead, God restored my peace and I have no anger over the confusion of the day. I know His way is better than mine.

Ironically, today was Brian and my 14th wedding anniversary. Although I don’t recommend celebrating your anniversary at the hospital, I am glad that I got to spend the day with him. One thing the cancer has done is brought us closer than I ever thought imaginable. I hope this doesn’t sound corny, but he is my knight in shining armor.


Well, I didn’t mean to e-mail your ear off. Just wanted to keep you posted. I don’t know how we would get through this without all of you. What an amazing support system we have! Here are some specifics for prayers . . .

*focus on one day at a time, one test at a time, one minute at a time
*my blood counts will sky rocket!
*I will continue to stay healthy and free of infection
*praise for safe travels today and the opportunity to "shine" in a hospital that wasn’t having a very good day
*continued feeling of peace – it is so amazing when you surrender completely to God and have that peace

I think that is it for now. Thank you!!!


Love & Hugs,
Kristi