Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sunday, January 20, 2008: Count Your Blessings

Remember the old hymn . . . .

Count your blessings, count them one by one. Count your blessings see what God has done. Count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God has done. (I may be a bit off on the words but this is what I remember from years back).

This song was running through my head today and it started me thinking . . .

I have a warm house in this freezing weather. I have a reliable car (with a heater!) to bring me to church. I have a church home that I can freely go to. I have an abundance of food in the house (which has in great part been provided by friends and family). We are all in good health. I have three weeks of "normal" before my next chemo treatment. I have a soft cat who will curl up in my lap and purr simply because she loves me. I have a fire in the fireplace right now that looks, sounds, smells and feels wonderful! I have a loving family who supports me. I have the best husband of ever! I have the most adorable children who listen to me all the time (okay, they're adorable anyway). I have friends that will go out of their way to help me. I am a part of the best small group ever! I have doctors that I trust. I have a computer that I can update my family with, stay in touch with friends and Google just about anything I need to know! I have so much more than I need or want. Mostly though, I have God who is all I will ever need. And He forgives me when I mess up and mix up my "needs" and "wants" and when I look to other things than Him to fill them.

Count your blessings . . . and you will be blessed.