Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Wednesday, September 5, 2007: A Hairy Situation

My hair is growing back, my hair is growing back, MY HAIR IS GROWING BACK!!! Can you tell I'm excited?! My eyebrows and eyelashes are coming in too. I was washing my legs the other day and realized I had stubble - I was so excited! I realize that all too soon I'll be complaining about having to shave my legs (I haven't had to for 7 months now!) but for now I'm looking forward to it.

I have good days and bad days with the hair thing. As Brian mentioned in an earlier post, I had a couple bad experiences recently. I know kids will be kids and they are curious but when their staring coincides with a down time for me, I tend to just sink lower. I'm just so glad in a couple months my hair should be grown in - woohoo!

I am feeling pretty good today. I took a nap this afternoon which helped. I haven't had any nausea today, just a little case of the 'tireds'. My counts took quite a hit with the last round so we don't really know when my next treatment will be. It'd be nice to have a week off but it gets frustrating when I'm on a "wait & see" schedule. Makes scheduling other things difficult.

We heard from U of M already and we have an appointment on September 21. We will be meeting with a doctor there who will have already reviewed all my records. He will give us his thoughts about what we have done so far and where he thinks we should go from here. We will then take this information to my oncologist. I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say.

I have been making a lot of "cyber friends" through this blog. It has been so exciting! A lot of them are because they were doing a search regarding cancer and found our blog. My newest friend, Doris, was diagnosed with ovarian cancer around the same time I was. She has just completed her 8th round of chemo and is considered "cancer free". Yea God! It has been so neat e-mailing back and forth with her because we have traveled down a very similar road this year. We had the same chemo and side effects and fears and triumphs.

The reason I am sharing this information is because I would like you to pray for her. She is having pain on the right side of her neck. Her doctor believes it is a result of the chemo. She has an appointment on Friday morning to meet with him. I know all too well how fear can take over when there is something just not right with our body. It's no longer a fear that we have a cold or the flu bug but we will always live with the fear that the cancer has returned.

Also, I have another person I would like you to pray for. She is my mom's friend, Louise, and she was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. She will be having surgery on 9/12. After that surgery they will have to wait for the results to find out how contained the cancer was and if she will need to have chemo or radiation.

It just seems like cancer is everywhere these days. But, God is everywhere too and is stronger than cancer. Thank you so much for reading and for all your prayers! Here are the specifics:

*Doris - appointment on Friday morning.

*Louise - surgery on 9/12.

*U of M appointment on 9/21.

*Praise - my hair is growing in!!!!!

*More praises - the kids love their teachers and are doing well with the adjustment of returning to school. Also, I am enjoying my one on one time with Emily.

*Brian, as always, has been wonderful. He has graciously taken on the extra work when I needed to rest. He patiently deals with my ups and downs and mood swings. Please pray that he will have the strength he needs from day to day.

*Patience as we "wait & see" for my next round of chemo.

*That my blood counts will go up and the CA125 level will continue to drop.