Sunday, June 3, 2007

Sunday, June 3, 2007: A Quiet Weekend

Well, we had a nice quiet weekend. Kristi has been resting most of the weekend. At times, her scars have been hurting her...not sure why - another question for the doctor I guess. We didn't do much of anything this weekend besides laundry, cleaning, resting, then more of that. I managed to clean a little bit of the garage. Kristi has been quite tired this weekend so she basically went from the bed to the couch back to the bed, then back to the couch. It's nice when she's on the couch so we can enjoy her. Of course the kids are usually pulling on her when she comes down so that gets quite tiring and overwhelming for her. She did manage to do some laundry and cleaning though. I tell her she doesn't have to do this but she finds it therapeutic to do this stuff. Sometimes she gets down because she doesn't feel like she's "contributing". I can understand...I would probably feel the same way. We think her blood counts are still down so that's why she's so tired. That's why she wasn't in church this morning - we didn't want to risk her catching anything. Here's a picture of Kristi with my nephew Josh and sister-in-law Barb (my brother's wife - my brother was fishing!!) - they visited on Saturday...

Josh leaves for the Marines today. He will be in boot camp for the next 13 weeks. Please send some prayers his way...and Barb's way too - her daughter Nichole (my oldest niece) was married just 6 weeks ago; so in just 6 weeks her daughter was married and now Josh leaves for the Marines.

As you can see from the picture, Kristi isn't wearing a hat or scarf. She's really becoming quite comfortable being bald. Would you have ever imagined?!?! She still wears a hat or scarf when she goes to the store, but around the house she goes "Au natural". She even walks down the street bald. I find this quite amazing; but then again, it is Kristi we're talking about! She asked me yesterday after Barb and Josh left, "what do you think people think when they come in and see me bald? Do you think it's too much for them?" My answer..."who cares?! You have cancer. You're bald. If they can't handle it, too bad for them." I call her baldness her "badge of courage". It doesn't bother me a bit. When she puts a scarf on and her green commando pants she looks like a foxy Hollywood diva! Grrrrrrrr :) Outwardly she appears fine with the whole bald thing, and for the most part I think she is. But, I know inside it bothers her a little bit. She gave me a hint of that last night. I know this whole thing is starting to wear on her a little...and the baldness is a constant reminder. So if any future references to her baldness can be avoided that would help her/us a lot.

As far as the kids...they're doing fine. They're excited for school to be done. This is their last week. They're getting a little restless and it's hard to keep them focused. I too can't wait for school to be done...one less thing to deal with.

Here's Emily playing with her power tools...can you tell she's a Daddy's girl?! (well, as long as she's being cute!)

As far as me, I'm doing OK too I guess. Today, I've been unusually grumpy...very very short fuse. It got so bad when Emily went down for a nap Kristi let Ashley go play at a friend's (which we don't normally do on Sunday) and she took Nathan to the dollar store (which we also wouldn't normally do on a Sunday). But I think Kristi recognized I needed some "quiet time" - the kids were yelling and crying and the house was just loud and I cracked. I can't help it. This is always the hardest time - the week after chemo. By Sunday I'm usually pretty tired. This next week should be better as Kristi gets stronger. I'm sure an "expert" would probably say I'm depressed. Who wouldn't be in my shoes?! Next to losing a child, what could be more depressing than the thought of losing a spouse prematurely? It's more than just a thought for me...it's a reality that scares the crap out of me. Sorry if you don't like for me to say that, but it's true. I have to deal with that thought every single day. I think about it all the time. It's with me 24/7. Unless you've been in my shoes you can't understand. I know Marilyn understands. I know Tim understands...all too well. Lori will come to understand in time. I'm not giving up hope. Even though the doctors and the numbers don't paint a promising picture, I honestly believe Kristi will be cured. But there are constant reminders of the opposite all the time. We had our Wills and Powers of Attorneys done last week. It's something the hospitals and doctor's office have been bugging us to do. While lying in bed the other night we started talking about everything...and "it" came up. Ready for this? ...Kristi gave me the "OK" to remarry if... Talk about a mood killer. I can't imagine. The thought just plain hurts. How does one recover? I can't imagine loving someone else. But we have 2 girls. Girls need a mother. I can't be a mother. I can't believe I'm thinking about this at my age. So you see, the reminders are constantly there. The pains in her stomach. What’s causing the pain? Is it the cancer? Why did her CA count go up? It's not hard to let your mind get the best of you. So yes, I suppose I'm a little depressed. But I deal with it. I pray often. I ask for prayers often. And I know they're working because these pits are usually short lived.

My friends have been awesome. My friends Dennis and Ryan came over Thursday night and we watched the Pistons lose. Even though the game itself was painful, it was a 4 hour distraction from "it", the cancer. Tuesday night I'm going out with some other good friends of mine. My friends have been real good at making sure I have "Brian time" (as they call it). These times provide me with a little escape…where I can get just a handful of hours where I’m distracted from the 24/7 duty of dealing with cancer. It doesn’t seem like a lot, but it means a ton to me!

Kristi and I have been blessed abundantly with many great friends and they just don't realize how much we love them. Hopefully they read this and realize that they are loved...even though we're not the best at saying those 3 little words..."I love you".

But I can't end there. Not without also saying how much our church and our friends in our subdivision have been there for us as well. They're not just our "subdivision friends". That's just how we distinguish them from our other friends. You know who you are! :) Kristi just loves getting out of the house and walking down to your houses. She loves the time out. Even if you just talk about the kids or school stuff or whatever, she enjoys the few minutes she has with you. She gets back home and I hear "that was so fun just sitting and talking". And Kristi continues to receive cards in the mail every single day from her friends at church. These cards mean so much to her. She practically knocked me over to get to the mailbox on Saturday and looked at me like the nerve I had trying to get “her” mail!! :) She enjoys each and every one of them! Thank you so much.

And of course, our families. That's just a given. But it never hurts to say it too much. We love you!

So that's all for today. A friend sent me a message about not worrying about being "too honest" in this blog. After all, it's supposed to be an honest look at our lives and what we deal with. And, it gives you something specific to pray about.

The specifics for today:
  • Kristi
  • Kristi
  • Kristi
  • OK, the kids as they finish school
  • Me.
  • My nephew Josh
  • My sister-in-law Barb (and Fred)
  • Our friends who are priceless
  • Our families as they also must deal with this
  • Kristi's sister Lori
  • Kristi's brother-in-law Eric (diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's 2 weeks ago)
  • My brother Jeff who broke his leg 2 weeks ago.
  • Kristi
  • Kristi, again