Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday, July 27, 2007: A quiet weekend

What a crazy week! I am really glad that I was able to see some of vacation bible school this week and feel the energy of the kids (and had a lot of compassion for the exhausted teachers!).

I don't have any new medical news but wanted to share a verse I found in a book I'm reading today. "Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life". Proverbs 4:23. Interesting, I just looked the verse up on bible.com and it's quite a bit different in the NIV. The verse I wrote is from NCV which to be honest, I don't even know what that is!

Anyway the book I am reading is called Every Day Deserves a Chance by Max Lucado. It is excellent (as are all his books!). We can easily let one thing ruin an entire day. I could let cancer ruin many days but I choose not to and by God's grace I am able to.

I've had a couple talks with my mom about how we are able to handle this. We've both had people come to us and say that they would never be able to handle it. Some times we wonder if we are in denial. I have said a couple different times that it's either denial or blind faith. I choose to believe it's my faith. Not only that, but it is the many thousands of prayers being said for us that are lifting that burden.

Unfortunately, I don't think Brian has the ability to let things roll as much as I do. I'm not saying his faith isn't strong enough, it's just that he has always liked to have things in order - a place for everything and everything in it's place. He likes to be able to plan things and know he can count on it to happen. We're talking about a man who sits at a red light and gets mad if there aren't any other cars going through the other way because we're wasting time. He likes to be busy.

This is both a blessing and a burden. I know if there is something to be done around the house, he will get it done right away. I know this has helped him in his career as he can be counted on to get the job done. The "wait and see" and day to day plan changes make things very frustrating for him. So, my prayer request of the day is that Brian will have a coat of Rain-X applied over him (not literally!) so that things that we can't control can just hit him and roll right off.

When a burden comes your way, look beneath it for the blessing. It's there. If there is blessing hidden in cancer, there are blessings everywhere! You all are a huge part of this blessing. Your prayers and support through fund raisers and meals and child care and much, much more has blessed us hugely. I can only hope that others walking through difficult times have been as blessed as we have been.