Saturday, July 21, 2007

Saturday, July 21, 2007: Date night!


What a beautiful day! Brian and I enjoyed a night out tonight. We went to a movie, and had dinner afterwards. It's always so nice to get away. Towards the end of the evening I noticed our moods going down. I think it's because we knew we were almost done and when we got home cancer would be there waiting for us. Also, part of the movie dealt with the main character losing his wife 3 years prior and him coping with her loss. Brian had a hard time with some scenes in the movie. There was one part where this guy finally built up enough strength to empty out her closet. Brian was in a great mood all day and I noticed after the movie his mood changed. I think parts of the movie hit him kind of hard - even though it was supposed to be a comedy.

It's kind of bittersweet - the joy of getting out and the reality of coming home. I was thinking about this on the way home and how frustrating it is that our moods can change so quickly. I didn't want to be down so I tried to change my mood by finding something positive. I looked out the window and saw a very beautiful sky. The clouds were soft and different colors as the sun was setting. If we try hard enough, we can find the silver lining in every cloud. Of course right after that we passed a farm that was very smelly. I thought it was a bit ironic - the beautiful site with the horrible smell. Life is like that all too often. I try so hard to focus on the positive but all too often the negative side wins. I'll keep trying though because I definitely enjoy the positive so much more!

I went in to have my blood drawn this morning. The vein in my left arm is getting very tough and they weren't able to get blood from it today. Fortunately the right arm was more cooperative. Not a fun time though. The hospital was supposed to call the results to my doctor and he would call me if I needed to go back in tomorrow. He didn't call which means I get tomorrow off - yea! My veins are ready for a break.

Some prayer requests:
*that my veins will heal
*it will be a crazy week with the kids going to VBS and my chemo on Wednesday. The kids will be doing a lot of coming and going to different places
*that my blood counts stay up so I am able to have chemo on Wednesday
*our focus stays day to day
*prayer of thanks that we were able to get out tonight with safe travels
*safety for me - with my platelet count low I could bleed very easily if I would injure myself
*the kids bedtime routine - we are having a hard time getting the kids to bed and keeping them in bed - specifically Ashley. I think her mind tends to wander and she has a hard time shutting things off. It's hard for Brian and I to have any time together when the kids are getting out of bed.

That's it for now - keep those prayers coming!